Monday, May 14, 2012

Trajectory: Layout options

How's everyone doing? Have you started piecing your blocks yet?

I started to play with placement and layout of the blocks over the weekend. What I enjoyed most was seeing the variety of options using this one simple block!

Here's the basic pattern that I used in the original quilt. I still like this layout and this is the one you'll want to use if you want your quilt to look most like the original.


But then I played around with making some stars and came up with this:

It's not complete - you can see that the top left corner block is plain instead of a boomerang and the one of the blocks in the bottom row is facing the wrong way. But you get the idea. I really like the secondary pattern made where the non-boomerang corners are joined together.

And then I experimented with a zig-zag:

I actually think I like this one best of all! I may need to adjust my assembly to make this version.

At any rate....play around with your blocks and come up with a design that pleases you. Next time we'll get into assembling the blocks into the final quilt top.

Most of all - have fun and enjoy yourself!


4 comments:

  1. I love all of these how will you choose? I think my favorite is....maybe the original but I think because the gray makes such nice pinwheels and then the yellow pops. The stars are so nice as well though : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt- it is so lovely. I've never tried paper piecing but will after reading your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used number two quite a bit along with regular kite blocks to make my spare change quilt. Its my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for sharing this quilt. Paper piecing always seems to be intimidating - but your series is so well explained.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!